OPINION: Saving the idea that is America

Post all political topics here. If it is a news story, please be sure to include a link.

Topic author
Monkeyboy70

Saving the idea that is America

Post by Monkeyboy70 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:42 am

After decades of growing dysfunction, our political system is failing. Hyper-partisanship, inaction on critical issues and ineffective governance by both political parties have done considerable damage. They have contributed to Americans becoming polarized, resentful, discouraged and cynical. Politics should be neither entertainment nor sport, but ours have evolved into a mixture of both.

Truth and integrity are under assault, drowned in an ocean of blogs, social media, talk radio and 24-hour cable news. Technology is being used to “personalize” this tidal wave of information to match our predispositions and prejudices. This assault confuses, undermines trust, feeds the conspiracy-minded and assists those who want to manipulate others.

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/ ... is-america

Interesting opinion piece and a good read.

oneopinion

Re: Saving the idea that is America

Post by oneopinion » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Another term of President Trump, this country will be back to being as great as ever!
#MAGA
#winning

Topic author
Monkeyboy70

Re: Saving the idea that is America

Post by Monkeyboy70 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:55 am

oneopinion wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 pm
Another term of President Trump, this country will be back to being as great as ever!
#MAGA
#winning
"MAGA"?

I always thought that what made America was its people. When did we as a people become not great? I still believe in this country and believe have been and always will be "great". Those who don't hold the same belief are sad little people in my opinion.